Can I get help with funeral costs?

DWP claims

People claiming benefits may be entitled to help from the DWP. The website Funeral Expenses Payment has helpful information.

Depending on your current circumstances you could receive help in paying for costs of the doctor’s certificate of death, cremation fees and up to £700 for any funeral expenses including funeral directors’ fees and coffin transportation.

For a full list of exactly what can be included please download the Funeral Expenses Payment claim form SF200. This applies to England, Scotland and Wales (SF200W Welsh language).

In Northern Ireland you can get a Funeral Payment application form from a Social Security / Jobs and Benefits office or search for Funeral Payments on


To get Funeral Expenses Payment you must:

  • get certain benefits or tax credits
  • meet the rules on your relationship with the deceased
  • be arranging a funeral in the UK, the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

Other funding options

You might be able to get other help to pay for the funeral if you’re not eligible for Funeral Expenses Payment.

In England, Scotland and Wales you could apply for a Budgeting Loan if you have been getting one or more of these benefits for the past 6 months:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit

Download the Budgeting Loan claim form SF500 from (SF500W Welsh language). You can also now apply online.


Military service

Anyone who dies in military service  is entitled to a funeral at public expense (A Service Funeral) plus an additional funeral grant. Alternatively, where the family prefers to organise a private funeral, the Ministry of Defence will provide a larger grant towards the cost.  There are a number of organisations that may be able to help with costs, we have listed some helpful links. Please contact us for further information